Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Life is Not Like Army Wives

Before we moved to base and on base housing I figured things would be similar to how Army Wives portrays it. After we moved into our house and settled, I can say with certainty that its not as happy as you would think.

After almost six months in our house I still don't know my neighbors. I have met our Family Readiness Officer (FRO) only once and she's our second one in the time we've moved. I was really expecting more of the spouses community you see on tv. I have met a few women from our unit. Most of the ones I've met get on my nerves. Two asked me when we are going to have a baby. I said not during this enlistment. We want to enjoy young married life and being able to travel. Another said if I'm a nanny then I obviously have baby fever and just need to get it over with. It's almost like being in high school again with the cliques and drama.

I've learned that here you are truly looked at as dependent on your spouse. Some of these women have never even paid a bill without the hubby doing it for them. I feel like my marriage is more of a partnership I love my hubby but I know if he deploys or goes on a trip I can stand on my own feet and not breakdown. People have told me young married military don't understand what it's like to be an adult because the military will take care of them like parents. For us it doesn't hold true but for so many of the young couples I met I can see why people have told me this. It makes me thankful that we lived together in the civilian world first. I feel like we have grown up more because of it.

1 comment:

  1. I just started watching the show on Netflix :) I thought I was learning a lot- I guess not!

    ReplyDelete